A birthday is a time for reflection.
One of the most miraculous things about my year likely went unnoticed. I’ll talk about my move to Colorado, about the burst-from-the-seams love I feel in my heart, about my career…here. I’ll do it here, and later.
As I said, now is a time of reflection.
One of the most miraculous things about my year was seeing Suzanne Calhoun.
Suzanne knew me in 1984 perhaps, when I was barely able to walk. We infamously demanded from my mother a dinner of “pork chops and applesauce” after watching the Brady Bunch episode featuring a similar demand.
I hadn’t seen her in decades. To embrace her again felt like the universe was in my grasp.
The second miraculous moment occurred just weeks ago when I decided to stop outside of Salt Lake City to see someone who I’ve known almost my entire life. I also got to meet his fiance, and in a few weeks I’ll be attending their wedding.
Josh Doxey has been a spiritual guide and leader in my life for many years, an irregular presence with a lasting impact.
True friendship. Inexplicable friendship. Uncomfortable friendship. Impossible friendship. Guilt free friendship. It endures. And it doesn’t need a single fucking thing from you other than what feels natural to give. It’s just there when you need it.
Friendship will always be there when you need.
Friendship always has been.
The more distance I travel, the more I realize the truth of love and friendship. It is instantaneous when you find it, you probably spend a ton of time not realizing how much of it you have, and its power is unlocked simply.
These pictures capture that, especially the one of my high school friends. These are the people I still give a shit about today.
A couple of other lessons I’ve scratched out over the past couple of days:
- Learn what you love, and surround yourself with it.
- Seek knowledge just for the fun of it
- Sex is amazingly life giving, but its true power isn’t unlocked until its with your best friend. And you’ll know when that finally happens. It’s far more mind blowing than just an orgasm.
- Treasure your treaures. It’s okay to have nice things, but do you get down on your knees and rub your dining table with orange oil for fun because you appreciate its beauty? This could read “don’t take things for granted.”
- Taste, try, and explore. Never allow yourself to be restrained by guilt or driven to action by obligation. Guilt/obligation and love/friendship are like oil and water and never mix when its real.
And I found the love of my life. Finally.
I said to someone the other day who was struggling to learn the lesson of a particular situation,
“All of life…every single day…is an English paper, a History lesson, a Math problem, and a Science experiment. Wisdom comes when you finally realize this.”
I couldn’t be happier in the sweet simplicity of finally realizing what really matters.
Thanks be to God.